Official 2013 Elements:
- Prop: A one-dollar bill
- Prop: Something ‘ticking’ (clock, watch, time bomb, heart, etc)
- Prop: Toothpick
- Prop: A hat that doesn’t fit (too big or too small, etc.)
- Prop: A sandwich
- Action: Lifting in a dramatic sense (something or somebody)
- Action: Balancing
- Action: Crawling through something
- Character: Someone addressed only by their title
- Character: Elaine or Mrs. Lane
- Dialogue: “”Monkey see, monkey do”
- Dialogue: “We’ve really hit rock-bottom”
- Dialogue: A sentence using the word “YouTube”
If you have one or more teams registered to participate in the 2013 STLP Cinemania 48-hour video competition at the STLP State Championship on Thursday, March 28nd. This is the official release of video elements to Cinemania teams.
Rather than use a flyer as in years past, the elements are listed at http://kentuckycinemania.org/2013-elements-released and are also included below. Attached is a sample scoring rubric that will be used by the judges. Please give extra attention to the following details:
- Video uploads to YouTube should be complete AND A LINK SUPPLIED VIA THE KENTUCKYCINEMANIA.ORG SITE (SEE PREVIOUS EMAIL) by 12 Noon ET (11AM CT) on Wednesday, March 27st.
- In final product to be judged, make sure not to ID any students names or school/ district names in any way (this should allow for anonymous judging). I’ve been told that some YouTube pages identify the team or school. As long as the video itself does not, we should be able to accommodate blind judging.
- Once the video has been successfully posted to YouTube, use the ‘contact’ or ‘contact us’ area of the kentuckycinemania.org web site – at http://kentuckycinemania.org/contact/ – and submit to the web site by Wednesday, March 27th at 12:00 PM (NOON) Eastern Time. During submission, put your name (as the sponsor) along with the school name in the “Name” field. Place your email address in the “email” field and, in the body of the message, include the YouTube link and a note that this is your official Cinemania 2013 video submission.
- Use as many of the elements as you can! It adds to the fun and ‘use of elements’ is a scoring factor for judges.
- Videos should only be 3 minutes in length (Max).
- Should any difficulties arise with your video upload, reply to this message. With this many teams, our YouTube usage goal was to allow for testing ahead of time to avoid upload issues during the competition. Things happen. A worst-case backup plan will be a DVD or thumb drive delivered at the conference by a team member, but this will have to be worked out in advance and will only be implemented under rare circumstances. We plan to update http://kentuckycinemania.org during the day on Wednesday the 27st to include acknowledgements of the videos confirmed as “received”. Watch the site and give us a little time to update the site with acknowledgement of your submission, but our goal is to use the site to inform you that you’re “good to do” after submitting the YouTube link to your video.
- Cinemania teams will use their own equipment. We are providing no video equipment.
- After judging is completed on Thursday the 28th, feel free to rename your YouTube submission to include your school name if you choose to do so. We believe in anonymous judging, but students certainly like to share their work with others and the anonymity is of little importance after the videos are judged.
- As we continue to test the http://kentuckycinemania.org web presence, watch for details and other emails that may come via the web site.
With that, we’ll wish everyone good luck! This competition is always a ton of fun and I wish we had some sort of award that could be given to every team. Let me know if you have any questions. Above all else… turn your students loose to HAVE FUN with this project – we’re big believers in “making stuff”! Take care.
HERE IS A SAMPLE OF THE SUBMISSION FORMAT (via the Contact Form):